From: Richard B. Stone, Chairman
Malcolm Hoenlein, Executive Vice Chairman
Dozens of anti-Israeli activists, networks and organizations, most of them Palestinian and some Western, are preparing a mass fly-in at Israel's Ben-Gurion International Airport on or around July 8. The event is dubbed Ahalan wasahalan fi Filastin in Arabic, "Welcome to Palestine"). The activists also are planning a series of events next week in Israel, including in the West Bank, to show solidarity with the Palestinians and defame Israel. As Adam Shapiro, a leader of the Free Gaza Movement said recently, [this campaign] is but one tactic of a larger strategy to transform this conflict from one between Israel and the Palestinians to one between the rest of the world and Israel."
Several articles from that appeared in The Daily Alert and elsewhere this week provide additional information.
com/2011/07/06/pro- palestinian-fly-in-shows- activists-goal/
July 8th Airport Disturbances- Talking Points
2. Israel, like any other country, has the right to refuse entry to those intending to carry out illegal disturbances and provocations.
3. An airport is a sensitive area with thousands of people passing through at any given moment. Law enforcement officers must ensure the safety of these passengers and the orderly functioning of the airport.
4. Law enforcement officers have been instructed to avoid confrontations as much as possible, AND to ensure that the airport continues to operate normally and to prevent a disruption of activity.
5. Israel is a democracy. Whoever wishes to demonstrate in a non-violent and legal manner is permitted to do so.
6. The disturbances are a continuation of the delegitimization campaign against Israel, which has already seen attempts to undermine Israel's sovereignty by sea, land, and now by air.